Monday, March 29, 2010

Student Government Versus Army ROTC

So, as a freshman in college, I'm a member of Student Government and ROTC.

The two are very different, but at the same time quite similar.

Student Government Association (SGA)


-An EXCELLENT prep for my future. As I'm crazy for public policy and US government, it's ideal.

-Provides me with reason to get to know new people. I represent my dorm in the SGA Assembly, we work through issues ranging from insurance for sports, to cold water in the shower.

-I'm learning how to interact with people with different views than my own. All through high school I was very narrow-minded and so I enjoy arguing my position on certain matters. It's taught me how to better defend my thoughts.

-The Association provides interaction between the residents and the members of different organizations on the campus. I really enjoy this interface, as it provides insight as to what different groups of students want.


Army ROTC


-I learn how to give and take orders. There is no room for argument there. I've learned to appreciate the difference between the two, and look forward to the day when I can actually use these skills.

-I have to work with a team. As a swimmer in high school, I wasn't really part of a "team". Yes, we all swam as fast as humanly possible (not Michael Phelps, but for us), but there was no teamwork involved. With ROTC, we have to use each team members' skills, and harness them to get the job done right.

-The Army is my future. As an officer in the Army, I will always have a job (barring extreme circumstances), and in the event of such circumstances, I will be vastly more qualified for certain jobs.

-Physical fitness is KEY in the Army, and as such, I haven't been able to gain the dreaded "freshman 15". The freshman 15, also referred to as the freshman 20, is the substantial weight gain by freshman who can eat essentially whatever and whenever they so choose. I have to be conscientious of what I eat so I don't feel sick every other morning at PT.

-Public speaking is also mandatory in the Army. As an officer, I will be able to speak publicly, and do so well. As an MS1 cadet, we're just now learning how to stand up in front of the room and speak on certain issues.

Well, that's that. I would HIGHLY recommend getting involved in activities throughout college, especially freshman year. I'm not saying "JOIN OR DIE", but I'm saying you'll enjoy yourself much more if you do something that you actually enjoy.

Ciao for now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment