Sunday, March 28, 2010

Extreme Boredom

So, I'm sitting here, waiting for something to happen, knowing nothing will. So I've decided to type up a little story-line I've been working on. It's actually somewhat interesting. People hit me hard with critiques. My writing needs serious work. :P There's no set title yet, but since it's a work in progress, the title can come later. Enjoy :)

Ah sophomore year! I was finally on my way back to school after a fanTAStic summer abroad. The four and a half hour drive with my two little sisters was enough to make me scream. I was mid-text with my soon-to-be roommate and best friend, Isadora, when my older (but still younger) sister smacked the side of my face.
"OW!" I screamed, "Mother! Beth just whacked me!"
"Cassidy, I'm sorry, we're almost there, relax, please." she responded, and ever so graciously too.
Turning from my now smirking sister, I returned to my text. Isadora and I were mid-discussion on how to set up our room. She detests moving things around once they're finally set up.
Finally I see the school. Reynolds College. Fancy name, manageable price. Not the most stunning campus, but I feel more at home here than at my actual house.
My friends and I are living in a suite this year, and I'm pretty excited about it. Isadora and I will be in one room and our friends Sophie and Elaine are in the room across the living area. Thank God I only had to bring the television, Elaine had to bring the couch.
After a tear-filled good-bye, my family leaves. I am sad to watch them go, but we spent a grand total of three weeks together, which seems like forever. I feel guilty for enjoying being away from home. I really miss my mom while I'm away.
"CASS!" shouts Sophie. I wince at the nickname, and she notices, "...idy! Oops, sorry Cassidy.", she says, but I'm too happy to see her to care too much.
"SOPHIE!", I shout back. I missed her and her crazy cute habits. Sophie is one of two people outside my regular family that I hug on a regular basis. Isadora is the other. I appreciate hugs, and don't mind giving them, but they're not a favorite of mine. Elaine doesn't hug much either, so I don't feel nearly as bad, but I digress.
"Oh, Soph! I'm so glad to see you! Good gracious it seems like forever ago we were saying good-byes!" I gush at her, sounding horribly girlie.
"Cassidy, I missed you too! How was Spain?"
"Fantastica!" -I spent most of my summer in Spain with some distant relatives, so totally cool.
"Now, chica Sophia, how was your summer?" I asked.
"Great! Josh and I climbed like, six mountains."
Oh Josh. The story there is strange. He and I had a little "thing" going in the middle of last semester. Then I realized he wanted a girlfriend, and I just don't have the patience for that now, so I introduced Josh to Sophie and they got along swimmingly. The cool thing is that they life kind of near each other, so they spent a fair amount of time together over the summer. They're painfully cute together.
"Hey Cassidy!", says Elaine from across the room. She's sitting on the couch sketching exactly how the living room will be laid out. I turn to her and smile. Elaine is so uppity it's sweet. She's an art major, and is surprisingly rigid.
"Hiya Elaine! How was your summer?"
"Amazing, we studied so much at UPenn." Oh yea, I'd forgotten that Elaine spent the summer taking art classes at UPenn. She wants to get a spot working for a specific company that buys and sells art.
"How was Spain?" she asks, snapping me out of my momentary trance.
"Awesome! So sunny, I think it rained once the entire summer." I responded.
"CASSIDY!" Wow, that was loud. I beam, knowing instantly that it's Isadora.
"ISADORA!" It's going to be interesting living with her for an entire year.
"Max and I are gonna run and grab food, we'll set up when I get back, ok?"
"Yea, that's cool, Elaine and I are gonna set up the living room now, so that sounds good. DIBS on the bed closest to the window!" I've had my eye on that spot since we found out we'd be living here.
"Fine, but I get the bigger dresser." At this I smile. Remembering just how many clothes Isadora has makes me laugh.
Twenty minutes later, Isadora and Max return, but Sophie, Elaine and I are ready to head out and get dinner at the union. We duck out so they can say good-bye. Soon we hear a pat pat down the hall.
"Uh Hell-O! I'm coming!" Isadora pants after us.
"Well we weren't sure if you needed awhile to say bye to Max or not.", reasons Elaine.
With a sigh, Isadora falls into step with us. It's nice to be back with everyone. It's also really neat to finally NOT be a freshman.
Last year the four of us were right where they are now. It's so true that you really can tell a freshman. They carry their keys in such obvious places. They all pretend to be something they're not. It won't be until their second semester that they finally realize that most people don't care about what others do.
Across the lot I notice Austin. Isadora sees me notice and sighs, pulling me along. He's in Student Government with Josh and me. He's not my "type" a bit heavy set, and a lot older than I am. Five years may be fine for Max and Isadora, but to me, it's a new concept.
He looks up from his work, sees me and waves. My stomach and heart flutter at awkward paces, but he's so darn cute!

To Be Continued. . .
Ciao :)

No comments:

Post a Comment