Saturday, September 18, 2010

Land Navigation

During any cadet's ROTC career, she/he will undoubtedly have to go through the grueling process that is known and loved as Land Nav.

Land Nav(igation) is a good idea in theory. Learning how to read a map and get from point A to B, and from A to any number of check points.

Cadets are issued

a compass

a protractor

and a map of the area being navigated. We have three hours to locate eight points, which are indicated by an alpha-numeric code.

EX: A1

I look forward to Land Nav every year, but for some reason, I just can't get the hang of it. It's easy in THEORY, but in practice. . .not so much.

Today, I tried the same lane twice, and only found two of 8 points total. It's very upsetting, considering this is a big HUGE-mondo part of LDAC.

So, to sum up, I have GOT to get better at Land Nav or I won't do as well as I should at Camp next summer.

Wish me luck, Cadets!

No comments:

Post a Comment